Remember the telephone game everyone played in grade school? You give a message to the person next to you and that message is told from person to person until it reaches the end of the line, at which time the last person announces your message to the group. In most cases, the message announced is significantly different from your original message. As whimsical and entertaining as the announced message could be, it loses its merriment when the same effect is applied to brand messaging that is translated for global markets.
You work hard to create content and messaging that resonates with local audiences but when it comes to taking that same message to international markets, how can you be sure it doesn’t get lost in translation? The following Slideshare walks you through different scenarios to help you find the perfect localization partner based on your individual needs. With the right partner, you can rest assured all audiences are receiving the message you intended to get across, regardless of their native tongue.
Please download The Strategic Shift: Localization’s Fast Track to Driving Greater Business Value to learn how to turn your localization strategy into an essential component of revenue.
Think about what you need
If you’re looking to expand into other markets, your content must appeal just the same as it would to your local audience. This means you’ll need to localize all digital content.
That includes not just your website, but also videos, mobile apps, infographics, illustrations, specialty graphics, eBooks, and other digital documents. At this point, finding the perfect partner to accommodate all of these needs may seem impossible—but it isn’t if you know what services to look for.
The following slides help break down capabilities based on the type of work you need. We hope it helps narrow down your options so you can focus on the rest of your to-do list.
If they can’t read it, they won’t buy it. Turning your words into a language your customers understand is critical to the success of your product or service.
Find a partner that offers advanced technology solutions to streamline the translation process, track translation orders, and enhance productivity. Or, more specifically:
- If you prefer to have all technology provided by your language service provider (LSP), look for one that offers fully outsourced solutions for accurate, culturally-relevant translations delivered by a self-service, cloud-based model to save time and money without sacrificing quality or customer service.
- If you want to manage some technology yourself, but integrate with an LSP for the rest, you may prefer a partner with a suite of managed language services for a customized, hands-on approach.
- If you already own or plan to purchase the technology, consider how much time you can commit to managing the production process and managing any technology you bring on board. Then partner with an organization that understands your needs and can support your level of involvement.
Although it may not be so obvious, transcreation differs from translation in many ways. Perhaps most important to understand is that transcreation moves beyond direct translation of source content to generate the same emotional response as intended in the source language, evoking locally relevant engagement.
Find a partner that:
- Is equipped with language expertise and a global operating model that supports all markets, providing guidance on content strategy and creation.
- Can collaborate with your creative agencies, in-country teams, and brand managers to ensure transcreated content maintains the original messaging intent.
Video & Localization
In this everchanging world of digital media, video is soon-to-be king. As such, it’s increasingly important to produce and localize customized video content that resonates with local cultures.
Find a partner that:
- Is well-versed in cultural nuances and can advise you on how to adapt your message so that it works well everywhere.
- Can produce local-centric videos that will successfully communicate your message within specific locales, efficiently and cost-effectively—without a lot of re-editing, which costs you money.
- Offers a full suite of global video production services and translation and localization services.
As you’re probably aware, the mobile application marketplace is booming. A recent survey found that more than half of global consumers only buy products from apps that provide them with information in their own language, thus app localization can result in a 148% increase in downloads per country.
Successful app localization requires two important skill sets:
- Understanding the complexities of the languages you’re going to use
- A solid grounding in the technical issues involved
Find a partner that:
- Has a deep understanding of both the language and technical sides of app localization.
- Can thoroughly strategize and analyze who your target audience is and identify its cultural requirements, including languages.
- Can not only help localize the language, but also test apps on local devices with a worldwide network of native speakers.
Advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI)
The future belongs to those who have the data. Cutting edge technologies like AI, ML, NMT, and predictive analytics require massive amounts of high-quality training data and actionable user experience feedback on a global scale to make their solutions more natural, accurate, relevant, and intuitive.
Find a partner that:
- Has capabilities to overcome these significant challenges with linguistic and data operations that generate high-quality global data to train the systems.
- Combines technology with global user experience testing, gathering feedback to continually improve on the human experience with intelligent systems, and scalable, complete global coverage.
Invest in a one-stop shop
Finding a partner able to offer all these services under one roof vastly streamlines your localization process, saving time, resources, and budget to focus on what’s most important to you.
Download our whitepaper, The Strategic Shift: Localization’s Fast Track to Driving Greater Business Value, to learn more about how linguistic technologies can help make your localization strategy an essential component of revenue.
Lionbridge enables more than 800 world-leading brands to increase international market share, speed adoption of products and effectively engage their customers in local markets worldwide. Using our innovative cloud technology platforms and our global crowd of more than 100,000 professional cloud workers, we provide detail-critical business processes, including translation, online marketing, global content management and application testing solutions that ensure global brand consistency, local relevancy and technical usability across all touch points of the customer lifecycle. Based in Waltham, Mass., Lionbridge maintains solution centers in 27 countries.